Monday, January 16, 2006

Sore Throat, Cough, Fever and an Ear Infection...

A week and a half ago, my son caught a bad cold. He had a recurring fever, sore throat and was coughing so bad he was gagging and throwing up. His cough was responding well to steam from the shower so he would sit in there with a stack of comic books. Last Sunday evening, he was coughing continuously. I phoned a health link number where a nurse is available for advice. Do I take him to the hospital emergency or what? The wait times are notoriously long, I have heard of waits up to 6 hours. She told me what to look for before taking him to the hospital. If he couldn't swallow his own saliva, if he couldn't get enough air (flailing of arms, blue lips or a change in his color) would be indications that he had to go to the emergency ward. Yes, that is what she said but still, talking to her gave me some reassurance that he would be okay for the night.


I had learned these accupressure points for coughing from a book put out by the Prevention magazine. It is called New Choices in Natural Healing. I use this technique for persistent cough but that evening nothing was helping. Later his cough finally calmed down.



My Son looked so peaceful as he lay in bed, his fingers learning to press on K27. I felt so relieved.
I took him to our family doctor the next day. He had this virus for exactly a week.

I knew it was only a matter of time until his primary care giver, me, got it as well.
Since last Monday, I have missed all regular work days and church services. I am feeling somewhat lonely but still it feels good to be taking the time to heal. I have been watching a lot more tv being out of commission, and I saw this commercial of a fellow with a cold who had to go to work, the world couldn't do without him for a few days. He takes this medicine and off he goes. Then he takes a night time version to sleep and then the day time one again to be able to go to work...STOP...

These viruses are getting worse. I also developed an ear infection as well. I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad earache, I took an acetominophen and fell back asleep. Then I woke up in the morning with a strange echo in my ear. My daughter was home and her words frightenly doubled in my ear. To keep calm, I carried along, putting up the Friendly Friday post until the time came when I could call the doctor, an hour later. I saw her and she said it was inflamed but not infected yet but to pay attention to it and if it got any worse to go to the walk in clinic on the weekend.

I can't help but feel I should've been given antibiotics right away. I didn't think that at the moment though. This doctor is replacing my regular doctor who is on maternity leave. Both of them are just out of med school, I think. I had a really good doctor for seventeen years then she had to go and retire. It is very difficult to find a family doctor here. I went to three doctors before I found one that I felt comfortable with and was close to where we live but this lack of experience concerns me.


Well, it got worse. Saturday, I woke with the same problem in the other ear. I was shaking uncontrollably and a fever developed. After taking another acetominophen, my fever dropped and my husband took me to the clinic. The wait times are long but it wasn't too bad for a Saturday morning. We waited for 1 1/2 hours while a little girl's high pitched greetings to everyone resonated in my ear.
The doctor seemed surprized at the infection, yes in both ears. I am on antibiotics. My right ear is really plugged at the moment, ringing and I hear my heart beating. I am trying to trust that I will be okay. I have an appointment with my regular doctor this afternoon.

I was to have gone to see a Beatles tribute group yesterday with my family. Obviously, I couldn't go.
They love the Beatles, inheriting it from their Father. I am really grateful that it is me who is sick and not them.

12 comments:

Fred said...

I thought I escaped this year, but I woke up this morning coughing, and it's getting worse. I may just get out the needles and give them a spin.

Patry Francis said...

At least it hasn't effected your lively wit. Feel better, Carol!

Rhiannon said...

Gosh so sorry you and your family are sick with flu and been going through all that. I agree with you why do they always give out anit-bitoics right away when you have a virus? Antibitoics only fight bacteria not virus..so when they always give it out right away the body learns to resist certain antibiotics and the bacteria also (if there is one)after taking them for so long througout our lives then we get other infections from them, like Yeast,etc..and things can actually get worse for the natural immune system.

I do some alternative medicine too! have for years! And I also have a book on accupressure and I do it on myself a lot and a few others too. It does help a lot doesn't it? Goldenseal is a very good natural anti-biotic that won't cause yeast infections and such. Of course it sounds like you know a lot about these things already I'm sure.

Please get better and so sorry your sick.

P.S. I know it sounds crazy but I've found that a pepsi can actually help with inner ear pressure..its been a life saver for me at times..try it and see what you think or no?..its what they used to do back in the days "of old"..:o)

Thanks for everything Carol,
Blessings,
Rhiannon

Carol said...

Fred,
That was acu pressure!

Thanks Dwayne. How long did it last?

Paltry,
Wit? Oh, yeah, the wit...

Rhiannon,
I really don't know a lot of natural alternative medicines, just what I have read or heard and is readily available at the time.
I like hearing what helps others.

won tong said...

Oh Carol, hurry up and get well that sucks..I am relieved about your son...my flu shot must be working.. my hubbie and i get them every year as we are considered high risk, me having been dying of breast cancer not so long ago and my hubbies heart attack and triple by-pass surgery.to think we both got all that in the same year.. God healed us both..Amen to that.. and so you'll feel better soon... Well I did a picasso head for ya.. see if you can get it..
TITLE: F.F.M.B. FRIENDLY FRIDAYS MARCHING BAND
AUTHOR I LOVE LUCY
LET ME KNOW WHATCHA THINK..YOUR IN THE FRONT WITH MARCHING STAFF AND A.... C, FOR CAROL ON YOUR CHEST AS THE CONDUCTOR

Fred said...

Ohhhhh. I need to read carefully next time. :)

Carol said...

Fred,
:) It took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about.

Sister Celtic,
It is beautiful. I think I am going to cry...

Unknown said...

Carol - I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for you. I read Prevention magazine too, lots of good advice. Take care of yourself.

Erin said...

I'm sorry you are sick. I don't know about Canada, but here in the US, they usually will not give antibiotics unless you are exhibiting signs of a bacterial infection. Even then, for ear infections, they may not give them at all. I think it is all in an attempt to curb the over usage of medications in 'treating' illnesses that are not responsive to antibiotics.

I hope you are better and that no one else in your family gets sick!!

Carol said...

Hi Erin,
Yes, they probably do the same thing here. Antibiotics do not help with viral infections so I erred in saying that. It must be two separate or perhaps related infections going on. Antibiotics shouldn't be given unnecessarily.
(I am going to edit that error. Thanks for pointing that out.)

Unknown said...

Carol - Regarding the carnival of compassion - usually people submit entries for a carnival, but no one submitted anything so I went and hunted down some "submissions" on my own.

Hope you feel well soon.

Carol said...

Thanks Barbara for your wishes to get well quick. I am not good at being sick. I don't think my husband looks forward to these times either as I expect to be indulged. No, he is pretty good about it, picking up quick meals on the way from home etc.

I will have to look into the Carnival of Compassion. I admire your active involvement in the blogging community.