Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Its Time...

Time to get out into the real world after a week and a half of being at home with this monster of a cold. I still have an ugly cough, plugged ear, stuffed nose and that sick cold feeling.

I've found a couple of helpful cold home remedies from fellow bloggers. I haven't tried them all but they sound easy and inexpensive to try. If you have any more, please tell me.

Rhiannon said, "I just always remember to never touch my face with my hands until I get home and wash my hands. Then when I come home I immediately wash my hands in hot water rinse then throw a bit of hyrogen peroxide (germ killer) on my hands rub it around my hands for about 20 seconds then rinse my hands off. Its easy and quick! One of my alternative medicine Drs. taught me this years ago now a lot of people do it I hear. He called it the "Hollywood test"..apparently a Dr. tried this test many years ago with a bunch of famous Hollywood families and their kids,etc..they all did it for over 2 years and only 2 people out of thousands in that test trial got any kind of flu, while everyone else around them in school and such did!"

Rhiannon also gave me this advice for my plugged ears:
"I know it sounds crazy but I've found that a pepsi can actually help with inner ear pressure..its been a life saver for me at times..try it and see what you think or no?..its what they used to do back in the days "of old"..:o)"

I asked her if it had to be Pepsi, and she said that Coke would work as well but not diet or decaffeinated. My Husband bought me home a decaffeinated diet Coke and I can verify that it doesn't work.

Mompoet gives this recipe for cold sufferers. I made this with not quite the right ingredients but it still felt soothing and gave my cough a rest.

So here I go, see ya later...

9 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

Hey babe, stay warm and drink plenty of fluids. You'll be in my prayers today!

Unknown said...

Glad you're feeling a bit better.

On Good Morning America right now, Allison Janse, the author of "The Germ Freak's Guide to Outwitting Colds and Flu : Guerilla Tactics to Keep Yourself Healthy at Home, at Work and in the World". No one in her family has been sick for three years.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, I recently discovered the best remedy for colds and flu etc. It's cheap too. My Chinese Medicine practitioner turned me on to it. It's essential oil of euculyptus. Put a few drops on a tissue and breath in deep from your nose and mouth. Not only does it break up mucous and get you coughing, it kills germs all the way down to the bronchi. Good luck on the re-entry.

Carol said...

Thanks everyone!
I added the book and oil to my "To Buy" list!

Unknown said...

Say Carol -

I'm hosting a fun competition over at my blog. I hope you can play! Trying to Catch Up: The Blog Olympics

Kim Winters said...

Being sick is awful. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Keep warm, get plenty of rest, drink lots of water. Sending a virtual pot of my mom's chicken soup your way.

Carol said...

Thanks Kim,
Slurp...cough...slurp...

Emily said...

I'm going to try this right now! My hubby has a bad cough and needs some TLC! I hope you're feeling better too!

Carol said...

Hi Emily,
It has been almost 2 weeks since this cold/whatever started and I still have a sore throat and plugged ear. Not fun.

I know, could be worse...