Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Federal Election: Jan 23, 2006

This morning at the breakfast table, my eldest daughter hands the front section of the newspaper to me. I had been about to look at the Entertainment headlines. My daughter, who is politically astute but not quite old enough to vote, points to the riding profile of our district, "Read this!"

Going down the list of candidates, I exclaim, "The First Peoples National Party!" (I am a First Nation person, by the way) My daughter immediately removes the paper from my hands and says, "No Mom, you can't waste your vote. Don't just think about yourself. Think about what is best for Canada."

Kids these days...

9 comments:

Paste said...

No matter how old we are, we always expect our parents to behave towards us as the parent. Even when we are grown-up we would like to see our mums and dads as being as solidly dependable as they were when we were needy, young children. But what happens when you, the child, become the parent to your own parents?

Carol said...

Dave,
I would hope that this is an indication that the child is becoming a solid and dependable adult, too.

Unknown said...

Youth - so idealistic.

Carol said...

Barbara,
Yeah and I love it.

David Edward said...

fill us in carol - is that a more or less liberal position?

Carol said...

David,
I don't know. I am not very
political. I have been looking at their website though.
http://www.fpnpoc.ca/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
(An interesting alternative...shhh...
but I probably will go with the same old same old)

Raehan said...

I am embarassed to say I don't know enough to have an opinion on the political parties in question, but you have raised a young woman with a conscience.

Good for you.

Lazy Daisy said...

Carol, wow, I didn't know you were part of the First Nation. That's wonderful! I'm glad your daughter is so knowledgeable about the elections, my daughter lives in Canada too and is very political.

Carol said...

Zeb,
Maybe Dave could hear you better if you asked on his blog. It is a good question though, I noticed that on his profile as well.