Tuesday, January 10, 2006

More tv time?

When I am reading a book, I can get quite absorbed. As I already stated in the previous post, I am a currently reading a novel called "The Idiot." This is a serious and intent look at life.

I had to laugh at a fellow blogger's advice that I watch more tv. I read his comment after just finishing watching a Canadian sitcom called Corner Gas. It takes place in a small fictitious Saskatchewan town called Dog River. To be honest, I have only watched a couple of episodes but it is terrific and oh, can I relate...

You see, there is one character, Hank, who is the town simpleton. In this episode, he was unsuccessfully trying to convince a town meeting of a great idea he had. The town needs tourists and what better way to attract them but through having a giant replica within their town. (I don't know about other countries but this is a common practise in Canada. We have a a giant moose in Moose Jaw, a giant Easter egg in Vegerville, a giant nickel coin in Sudbury etc.)

Hank cannot express himself well nor persuade, this qualifies him to be an idiot, according to 21st century television. Now this fellow is perhaps worthy of the title, idiot, unlike the genius in Dostoyevsky's book. Dostoyevsky's character is cultured and intelligent. I don't understand why people insist on calling him an idiot except that he is unlike them.

The problem for me is that I related to Hank, not Myshkin. I do not express myself well especially under stress. I am familar to the prairie world. I still have to read further to understand the cultured world of 1869 Russia.

So while reading a book, I also experience it.

I really needed the advice I was given to watch tv. I needed to see a 20th century idiot or at least our society's depiction of one. It is surprising to see the difference between the two.

I needed this comedic break. It brought the story into my world. I can deal with it better in Dog River, for now anyways.

6 comments:

Miladysa said...

I usually go quiet or ramble :)

Lazy Daisy said...

Nice parallelism Carol. I like how you drew the book into the culture of your situation. Now I'm interested in reading the book!

Anonymous said...

Comedic break still needed?

SUBJ: These Are Good

(1) Dear God, I have a problem. It's me.
(2) Do the math . . . count your blessings.
(3) God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts
(4) Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.
(5) There is no key to happiness. The door is always open.
(6) Faith is the ability to not panic.
(7) Laugh every day; it's like inner jogging.
(8) Things most important in your home are the people.
(9) If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry.
(10) Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
(11) As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home - frequently.
(12) A grudge is a heavy thing to carry.
(13) We do not remember days, but moments.
(14) He who dies with the most possessions is still dead.
(15) Never mind learning the tricks of the trade, just learn the trade.
(16) Learn from the turtle, it only makes progress when it sticks out its
neck.
(17) When we get tangled up in our problems, be still so God can untangle
the knot.
(18) It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be
sure to flush when you are done.

Author Unknown

Carol said...

Nice to meet you, Miladysa.

Thanks Lazy Daisy!

That is great, Pearl, especially #4. I keep forgetting. Thank you!

Stephen Cummings said...

Nice post. Here in the US we don't get the show (I think, I can't find it in my market). DVDs are available and I may try to acquire one to see.

I did get to read some trivia about the show here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397138/trivia

Carol said...

Thanks for the trivia site, Stephen. Like I said, I have only watched twice so far but plan on being a regular. Hope you can find it at your closest video store.
Hey did you try out the gas pump?