Thursday, October 20, 2005

Overcoming Anxiety

I'm reading Don't Panic:Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks by R. Ried Wilson,Ph.D.
The following are tips that I am learning.

Useful Tips for the Anxious

Tip#1 Make sure that there isn't something actually physically wrong with you. Have you seen a doctor lately? A pain in the chest or trouble breathing can make you anxious. Get reassurance from a professional that your body is well. Knowledge is essential, understand what is going on. Wilson gives a long list of symptoms and possible illnesses. Great for the hypochondriac.

Tip#2 Believe in yourself. An "I can do it" attitude is a part of the healing package.

Tip#3 Learn to trust your body's unconscious ability to take care of you. Experiencing the body at work. Anxiety will only build distrust.

Tip#4 Once the symptoms start appearing, tell yourself that there is no emergency. Remind yourself of the facts eg. what your doctor has said.

Tip #6 Breathe from the diaphragm.

Tip #7 Learn a deep relaxation technique or meditation. I am experimenting with mediation which I have done before but I really didn't understand the significance of. Now I see that the ability to focus intensely on something outside of myself can pull me out of an attack. "Panic instructs you to focus on your body (wrong) and worry about what will happen next (wrong)." Meditation trains your mind.

As I write these, I am reinforcing these ideas to myself. I have a lot of practise to do. I'll let you know how it is going.


No comments: