Sunday, October 30, 2005

Hallowe'en

When our children were small, my Husband and I had to decide whether or not our children would participate in Hallowe'en. I had a problem with its origins while my Husband did not. He did not want to make me go against my beliefs, so he agreed that they wouldn't partake in this popular festivity.

Most years,the children would stay at home when they had the class party. Then in the evening it became our tradition to eat out and do something special such as a movie. They look forward to this time still. They don't feel deprived. It has taught them that they don't have to be like everyone else.

"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;" Colossians 3:23

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which is more important, original intent or current effect?

(asking as someoe who abstained from Halloween for a long time myself)

Anonymous said...

Familt time is good of course. Here's what another family did: http://37days.typepad.com/37days/2005/10/make_your_own_c.html

Carol said...

Pearl, I have been thinking over your question.
It reminds me of a Bible passage where the eating of meats offered to idols was questioned. (1Cor 8)The answer was given that it is not wrong to eat the meat as long as another Christian's faith is not hindered by this action. That is, the one that knows he can eat does not cause someone who thinks it is wrong, to eat the meat. This would be a sin for both parties.
(Romans 14 also addresses the same situation)

I think the costumed children are cute too but this is only one side to the current celebration of Hallowe'en. There is also a dark side that is masked, so to speak, by the innocence of the other. Thus I don't want to be part of either.

There are many Christians that do celebrate and are not bothered but I have to remain true to my convictions as they are today.

I am glad you commented. I am interested to know your reasons for abstaining and what changed your mind.

Thank you Pearl. I always am glad for your visit.