Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Parenting 101

At coffee today the moms were talking what they would have done differently if they had to raise their kids over again. I realized that this implies that there has been some growth in the parent as well.

I would have not cared if there were cheerios on the floor. Nowadays we have a cat that loves finding these treasures.
I wouldn't care that my daughter didn't eat all the food on her plate. She used to frustrate me by agreeing to put the food in her mouth but refusing to swallow it. I have found that my boy is more cooperative with dietetics. It is important to know who you can talk food groups with.
I would have ordered pizza more often.
I would have volunteered less and instead read Anne of Green Gables and Tom Sawyer with my own children.
I would have been extra nice to myself so I could be cheerfully disposed towards my family.

Children help their parents to grow just as much as we help them.

2 comments:

CS said...

Wonderful points! Pity we get to raise them only once. Unfortunately, our cat refuses to help us with the Cheerios.

Anonymous said...

"She used to frustrate me by agreeing to put the food in her mouth but refusing to swallow it."


awww, thanks for thinking of me.

ok, it was one type of meat, and I could not chew and swallow it, it was like gum.

and don't buy cheerios, who in our home, besides the cat, likes cheerios?