Monday, April 11, 2005

Family Time

Sunday afternoon is our family time. Yesterday,the request was to go to a large bookstore chain. Our daughter, who made the suggestion,had ulterior motives though. The new Star Wars book was in.
They used to have couches in this bookstore but young couples were getting too comfortable so they replaced them with hard backed chairs which are not conducive to cuddling. That was alright for my daughter though as she prefers the floor. I thought I would leave once she settled in for a good read.
My son, as always, asked what the dollar rule was. This is the amount of money we will pay for a purchase while they pay the difference from their allowance. He had already decided upon a guitar chord book which was a good, practical choice. Usually, he is scrambling to find anything to use his/our money on.
I found my husband in the computer section looking at a dummies' guide to making a million on the internet. Maybe it is a lack of materialism that made me think, "Hey,this could interfere with my blogging time!"
I love browsing in a bookstore but I prefer the second hand shops. The classics appeal to me more when they are a little worn into life like a Velveteen Rabbit with marked margins and creased covers. At these new stores, I tend to check out the bargain books first. I think with a sigh, "This could be me some day."
Then I look through the "wouldn't want to buy but good to look at" section. I checked out a book called The Worst Album Covers Ever. I learned there were even records of ventriloquism but apparently ventriloquists are not too adept at album design. I do think that being a ventriloquist on a record shows great ingenuity. I found that one of the LP's that I used to have made the list. No, not the one by the singing midget!
I also saw a Best of Blogs book. I looked to see if there was anybody I knew, but well, not yet.
My daughter, the Star Wars fan, was elated because she found out the ending to The Revenge of the Siths.

5 comments:

CS said...

A family time after my own heart! Some of my favorite books have come from the "bargain" section.

moira said...

The best used book shops have cats, chairs, and lots of nooks to tuck yourself away in.

Carol said...

Hi CS. I noticed you spend a lot of time at that bargain bookplace. We don't have one here.

I agree Moira.
I know a bookstore that has a huge dog, that seemed strange.

Jennifer said...

We have no bargain bookstores here. Probably a good thing, actually, as we'd be broke. I love my books!!!!
I had to laugh at your comment about your husband's making millions on the internet cutting into your blogging time. My husband isn't allowed near my computer for more than a few seconds a week!!!

Anonymous said...

I found my husband in the computer section looking at a dummies' guide to making a million on the internet. Maybe it is a lack of materialism that made me think, "Hey,this could interfere with my blogging time!"


LOL LOL LOL