Friday, April 15, 2005

How To Improve Your Memory

I picked up this book on memory at some used bookstore, can't remember where, but I have been reading it lately whenever I have to wait for appointments. I was recollecting or should I say, trying to recollect some key points to my girlfriend as we went for a walk, this fine spring day.

"Plato said... what did Plato say? Well I do remember that Aristotle, Freud and Pavlov were also mentioned," I said as I recalled some of the more famous experts on memory. Actually, I made an important point as classification is one of the ways to improve memory, according to Aristotle. See, the recall button still does work!

Another solution is to be interested in the topic you are trying to learn about. I could argue that I am interested in memory improvements but maybe at the time of reading, I was more interested in listening in on the hairdresser's conversation with another client or thinking about what to blog the day that I waited for my daughter's dermatologist.

This brings me to the major reason that people have memory problems.They are trying to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. This could be the problem as my mind is usually focused on me and whatever.

This memory book could be a little outdated. It is from 1957 but I found this reason also given in a recent parenting newsletter. It referred to the phenomena as "Mommy Brain." It also suggested doing less multi-tasking. I feel a little insulted by this insinuation that mommies are not capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, even though I have found eggs and potatoes in the freezer. I refuse to give up the multi-tasking necessity that comes with being a housewife, mainly of being able to talk on a headset phone while doing the household chores.

However, I am not finished exploring the possible solutions to my dilemma and I remember what I wanted to tell my girlfriend. " Plato was the first to think about memory!" Now I don't feel so bad.

No comments: