Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Academy

Yesterday, I had to pick up an art portfolio for my daughter. The closest art supply store was the one at the university. I love being on campus.

I went to university after high school, over twenty five years ago. The first day was hectic and filled with feelings of adventure as I raced to find each room. Adrenaline pumped as I met many new faces,this was rare to a small town girl. This was the beginning of my Life Away.

It was sky-blue with just a hint of a breeze and I felt eighteen again with anticipation. It was not just to be surrounded by books but to be in amidst the young people and their learning. This was Inspiration.

I eagerly raced through the book aisles until the fever subsided and I knew it was time to leave. I sat on a bench outside under the sun realizing I do not want to be a formal student again although I enjoy learning but slowly and meditatively. Oh but still, the air is so sweet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love going back to the old haunts like this and feeling rejuvenated by the activity there.

Too bad I get so tired so early these days!

Carol said...

I remember getting tired when I attended; my eyelids threatened to close at my 8 am class.

Blake Lamar said...

I hated college, even though I did well and met a few interesting people. My favorite professor died a few years after I left. I got the idea for the novel I'm working on right now when I was trying to think of a story to write for his creative writing class. I won't say college was all a waste, but I didn't like it. I have a lot of bad memories. They overshadow the good.

Carol said...

Cuz,
Give it more time and you will remember it differently.