Thursday, March 10, 2005

I Need a Punchline!

After reading that there is a shortage of humorists, I decided I needed to write a humorous entry but my head hurt from the effort. A friend told me that maybe I don't have funny situations but his words failed to comfort me.
I thought of using Woody Allen's schtick but people always take me seriously when I am self depreciatory. I end up having to punctuate my sentences with "just kidding." Just the other day as I sat in the passenger seat with a speeding cabbie, I thought of Woody. He was being driven by Annie Hall's morose brother who only hours previously had told him that he contemplated driving into oncoming traffic. As I meditated on Woody's terror stricken face,we darted around another vehicle while the cabbie apologized for missing the turn. I knew Woody would have had some comedic reply but my knack for silent amusement will have to do for now.
Maybe it would be better if I used a comedienne's approach to life. I love Lucy, I do! I think of her every time I buy eggs. There is an episode where Lucy goes grocery shopping and ends up covered with eggs. I only open the container and examine them. I don't hold each egg to the light but if I was braver, I would. Then I might enjoy all the comedic situations I could get into.
So my impatience will have to learn to let Carol the humorist come to life naturally. This could be fun!

2 comments:

Carol said...

So what are you trying to tell me?

Carol said...

Are you saying I need lessons!