Wednesday, March 09, 2005

A Difference...

Some people appear very confident. They usually are extroverted,friendly and well-liked.
Others are more self-conscious. These are the introverts who are studious but awkward and shy.They may lack confidence but not because they have less talents than the outgoing. Their introversion causes them to focus more on themselves and their flaws.This awareness of their weaknesses can leave them vulnerable to self doubt.
However even though the extroverts are more fun to be around they usually lack the depth which enables the introverts to explore their inner lives. This is a more torturous journey attested to by mental illnesses but the riches are found in the honesty and depth of its' art and literature.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,

I enjoy your Blog; but maybe you have generalized too much in this one. From your study of Scripture, do you think Paul to be an extrovert. I do; but I do not allow that he "lacked the depth which enabled him to explore his inner life."

Even extroverts can be self-reflective and meditative when alone.

Al
Milton, VT
kendall.al@gmail.com

Carol said...

I was about to edit this post as I did make generalities but I will leave it as it is as.(I was going to title this entry "Painting With a Broad Brush.")
Yes,there are extroverts that are reflective and there are introverts that are leaders. I think these individuals have matured beyond their natural tendencies.
Regarding Paul,he was a great writer with much depth but I don't know if he was an extrovert. In 2Corinthians 10:10, Paul states how others viewed him "For his letters, say they, are weighty and powerful; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible." This sounds like a well educated introvert. He was a confident preacher as a result of his knowledge, faith and maturity.
I am interested to hear why you consider Paul an extrovert,Al.
Thanks for reading!

Blake Lamar said...

90% introvert here. I prefer to be alone most of the time. I lack confidence in everything but my writing, though I still have some doubt. I'm not as shy as I used to be. I guess I'm a maturing introvert in that respect. I don't mind speaking up in crowds of people, but I won't start up a conversation with a stranger. They have to make the first move. I'm not a very good leader. If I'm put in a leadership role, I usually step aside if anyone else in the group wants to take command. I'm a perfect follower, so long as I feel my leader is in his or her right mind. Yes, you have given very broad definitions of introvert and extrovert. Everybody falls somewhere in this range, I think. Though if you put me in a room full of introverts, I'll metamorphose into enough of an extrovert to get things going.

Carol said...

Thanks Cuz for your comments. Yes, I admit to being an introvert as well which gives me that obvious bias.