Wednesday, March 23, 2005

"He Who Overcomes"

My eleven year old son and I were having Bible Time before school this morning. I want him to understand spiritual concepts so we concluded our time discussing dependance on God. I asked him if he knew what it meant. He shook his head slightly.
"It is when you know that you can't do something and the only way you can do it is with God's help," I replied into his thoughtful brown eyes.
"I think I am beginning to feel that," he said.

I know that this is true. Recently, he had trouble in school. He was angry at his teacher for not being more lenient with him in class. He wanted to visit with his friends instead of doing his work and he was getting way behind in his schoolwork. He was angry and defiant at his teacher's insistence that he sit down and work. His desk was moved to the front of the class away from the other students and he felt humiliated. He passed notes to humiliate the teacher back.
After a meeting with the teacher, my son was in tears. He confided to me that he could not do any better. So we prayed for help and almost immediately there was a change to a determination to succeed. He apologized to his teacher and his desk was placed back with the others.
He was feeling discouraged at one point but I told my young child that he had succeeded already. He had changed his attitude.

He continued to work very hard to get caught up. He went to school early and eventually completed the checklist of homework on the fridge. Now he is willing to keep up with the current homework.

Yes, I am very pleased with this youngest of mine. He is learning the toughest lesson of all, depending on God to overcome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah..sometimes God indeed tells us something, if we use our underneath of minds to listen to. :)

Anonymous said...

how about your oldest? MOM!!!! I never got in trouble like that!

Anonymous said...

how about your oldest? MOM!!!! I never got in trouble like that!

Anonymous said...

oops, double post, not sure how I did that, sorri.

Carol said...

You'll have your turn, Miss Em!

Carol said...

Thanks Jennia for visiting.
God speaks to everyone who is willing to listen. The question is how?

Anonymous said...

Carol, I learn Quan Yin Method. I have no other answers. I don't actively tell my friends how great it is, because some people will refuse. I'm so sorry, if you feel bothered.

Carol said...

Nice of you Jennia to pass on the information that you have found so helpful in your life. I looked up the Quan Yin method and was impressed with the lifestyle that is recommended. Most of the principles are Biblical such as refraining from a carnal life and the promotion of speaking the truth.
I think that there is much that our own spirits can teach us and that we can become more attune to our inner voice through meditation. There is more to our beings than we are aware of.
However I do believe that God only speaks to us through His holy Word in the Scriptures.Other voices are not His.
Although as stated before we have a lot to learn from our own spirits and from each other.

Carol said...

Nice of you Jennia to pass on the information that you have found so helpful in your life. I looked up the Quan Yin method and was impressed with the lifestyle that is recommended. Most of the principles are Biblical such as refraining from a carnal life and the promotion of speaking the truth.
I think that there is much that our own spirits can teach us and that we can become more attune to our inner voice through meditation. There is more to our beings than we are aware of.
However I do believe that God only speaks to us through His holy Word in the Scriptures.Other voices are not His.
Although as stated before we have a lot to learn from our own spirits and from each other.