Thursday, June 01, 2006

Voted the Most Improved Skater

A few years ago, I decided to take skating lessons as my children were also taking lessons and I wanted to be able to skate along with them. I had not skated since I was in Junior High so it was a brave step for me.
I was the only one in the adult class to wear a helmet. I felt abit foolish and thought maybe I should go without it.
That day, I decided at the last minute to keep the helmet on. This was the day, it turned out, that the class lined up to try a little jump. With my helmet securely on, I attempted the maneuver only to fall flat on my back. I had a sore neck after even with the helmet on. I shudder to think what it would have felt like without one.

Anyways, the moral of the lesson is keep your helmet on until you know your limitations.
Oh, and don't be afraid to look stupid.

7 comments:

mompoet said...

Oh Carol! I admire you so much for doing that, and for wearing your helmet!
mp

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Imagine if you hadn't worn your helmet and you had that fall....tsk,tsk,tsk, that would have been a disaster.
Have a nice weekend.

Kai said...

i admire u for doing that too

Lazy Daisy said...

Good for you...it was an excellent example for your kids too. Safety first! Didn't know you were a dare devil Carol...must be the "Lucy" in you!

-tnchick- said...

That's super!

I'm having a hard time with blogger comments today. Finally, I could get through :)

Kaity said...

Wearing helmets is a must in ice skating! , Bike riding no, ice skating yes! (feels so young here)

Carol said...

Some Person,
I wonder why you would say no to bike helmets?