Saturday, February 26, 2005

Speech Writers

I had read an article by a political speech writer last night. I feel somewhat disillusioned by the idea of political leaders having speech writers. I am naive as I had hoped their eloqence was their own, not hired and polished by another. (Tell me it's not true that the late, great Tommy Douglas had a speech writer. There was a television special last year where the top 10 Canadians, living or dead, competed for the title of "The Greatest Canadian." Douglas was voted the greatest and I voted for him primarily because of his GREAT speeches. )
Then again, maybe I should feel better for their lack as I often rue my own inability to "speak well" but hey, if the Prime Minister can't either, why should I feel bad!

3 comments:

Carol said...

I wonder what they look like??

Anonymous said...

It's true, he had speech writers... My Great Grandfather, as the family legend goes, was a speech writer for him... When he won "the greatest canadian" contest, I went down and check into the archives... and sure enough... hidden in the fine print... I saw some of the speeches, with my family name on them...

Carol said...

Wow! Thanks for confirming this...