Monday, February 21, 2005

Family Day

We have a unique holiday in Alberta, Family Day. It was created in 1989 by a premier who was struggling with his own family problems at the time. The provincial government wanted to recognize the pioneers and their contribution to the family values of today.
It was fitting then that our day was spent with my husband's parents. His Dad will be 90 this summer. His wife fusses over him, not wanting him to trip or strain. I noticed his patient defiance.
We sat around the supper table while my Mother-in-Law, who was a one room school teacher long ago, told us of the book she read about Canada Jack. That woman can talk, and I don't mean in a bad way, although she will gossip and lose me with stories of so and so's brother's sister's daughter. I admire her gift of speech, the words flow so eagerly to teach and amuse her family.
I am very grateful for the values that have been passed down to us.

No comments: