Friday, February 25, 2005

After A Day at Work

I work part time, preferring to be at home to take care of the family and household most of the week. Not that we have a lot of money; it is a lifestyle choice. You know, small home, old vehicles and no exotic vacations but still I feel the envy of my co-workers. They have to put in a full week and are stressed to the max by the job's hectic pace and the responsibilities at home that are waiting for them. It is hard to make that choice when the house is already bought, SUV is in its' heated garage and the flight is booked. My days are mine to plan and what I can afford is the time to look after my family plus indulge in past times such as this. I would feel spoiled except that I have to put up with the lousy appliances we got on sale and the van whose engine light keeps coming on. I could work more, the children are older but the thought of giving up my life's serenity is not appealing. I think we have a happy, functional family as a result. It really does have to do with priorities.
The Canadian government is big on creating a national daycare system. It is assumed that women want or need to work outside the home. Two income families are probably beneficial for the country's economic prosperity but I fear that our future will suffer as child rearing becomes even more institutionalized. I would like to see the one income families subsidized as well. Then families would feel they have a choice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carol said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carol said...

Comments deleted because link sent did not work. Don't worry, it was nothing offensive.