Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Conscientiousness

Yes, I admit it. I not only am conscientious but I am overly conscientious. I am overly "diligent and scrupulous" to do the right thing.
To differentiate between conscientious and being overly so, my employers would rightly expect me to follow company procedures, not linger at breaks and get along with my co-workers. It would be considered overly conscientious to go beyond that which is expected of me and even more so if I felt guilty by not doing so. An example would be staying overtime and not claiming the time perhaps in fear of what others would think or of getting fired.
A conscientious person holds the door open for those behind them. An overly conscientious person, on the other hand, stands holding the door open for the person walking slowly down the street. If by chance they let the door swing shut, they feel guilty for it afterwards.
Such a person sets themselves up for being manipulated by others through their own guilt and suffering from resentment for others that are not as diligent or scrupulous as themselves.
It is said that the first step towards change is recognizing the problem. To myself and others who suffer from being overly conscienceness, my advice is, "Treat yourself as conscientiously as you treat others." Also notice what is going on around you, your own actions might not be as important to others as you think.

No comments: